Strategy 2015: Supporting success since 2009
In March 2009 CEO Frank Appel unveiled Strategy 2015 that aims at making the company fit for the future. Its goal then and today is to unlock the potential of Deutsche Post DHL.
Deutsche Post DHL operates in over 220 countries and territories around the world. We offer our customers comprehensive services that extend to all modes of transport and links in the supply chain.
Our vision: The postal provider for Germany, The logistics company for the world
Our company's growth is founded on two strong pillars: DHL, which offers integrated international logistics with a strong focus on quality and customer service, and Deutsche Post, our mail business with its clear commitment to providing universal postal services in Germany and new value-adding electronic services for the digital age. This commitment to both pillars is summed up in our vision: We want to remain The postal provider for Germany and become The logistics company for the world.
Our mission: your success
As the universal postal provider in Germany and a world leader in logistics we understand that we have a responsibility. We connect people and improve their lives. This is true whether we deliver a letter to a mailbox, an express shipment to a company office or a container to a warehouse. We are proud of the role we can play in making people more successful.
Strategy 2015 lays out three chief goals: We want to be Provider of Choice for our customers, Employer of Choice for our current and future employees, and Investment of Choice for investors. We strongly believe we will only be successful if we make all three of these groups more successful. We can do this by giving customers the best possible service at competitive prices and with solutions that make their lives easier. We will make employees more successful by providing them with an interesting and exciting place to work. We will ensure our investors' success by being a solid, long term investment and by offering an attractive total shareholder return.
We also feel responsible for the world and have integrated corporate responsibility in Strategy 2015. Under the motto 'Living Responsibility' we focus on those areas where we can offer the most expertise and achieve the greatest impact for those we support. These areas are in education, disaster management, and environmental protection.
Detailed overview of the measures and programs
- With our new commercial organization 'Customer Solutions & Innovation' we provide customers seeking solutions from across our DHL divisions with easier access to our services. This organization brings together a number of formally stand-alone business units to support our customers more effectively in the fields of sector expertise, global development, innovation and key account management.
- In the area of sector management, Customer Solutions & Innovations provides customers in five focus sectors (Technology, Energy, Life Sciences & Healthcare, Automotive and Engineering & Manufacturing) with specific industry know-how and solutions for the entirety of their supply chain, giving them a competitive advantage.
- Customer Solutions & Innovations also drives an innovation agenda tuned to the future needs of our customers, leveraging products, solutions and innovations from across sectors. Our Innovation Board, made up of innovation, sector and business unit experts, ensures that our innovation efforts are closely aligned with customers' agendas.
- We understand that our customers are keenly interested in the growth potential of the emerging markets, most specifically in the BRICM countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico). We have therefore increased our efforts in these countries and regions to provide customers with entry into, or expansion within, these rapidly growing markets. Likewise, we assist fast growing enterprises in these markets as they advance onto the global stage of world trade.
- We take Corporate Responsibility (CR) very seriously at Deutsche Post DHL and have therefore anchored our CR-initiatives in our Strategy 2015. We are committed to sustainability in our business.
- Our corporate responsibility initiatives under the motto of 'Living Responsibility' focus on protecting the environment (GoGreen), disaster management (GoHelp) and championing education (GoTeach) - those areas where our competencies have the highest impact.
- Improving our CO2 efficiency is at the core of our commitment to environmental protection. We were the first logistics company to set a quantifiable CO2 efficiency goal: By the year 2020 we intend to improve the CO2 efficiency of our own operations and those of our subcontractors by 30% compared to the baseline of 2007.
- We use our logistics expertise, global presence and the commitment of our employees to help people in disaster-prone regions. We have developed the training program 'Get Airports Ready for Disaster' (GARD), which prepares local authorities and airport officials in endangered regions for possible disasters. When a disaster does strike, our 'Disaster Response Teams' (DRTs) support logistics at airports in disaster-struck regions.
- We carry out a number of educational measures worldwide to support the potential of children and youths, especially those lacking a family environment or who are at a disadvantage because of their social background. We work together with the global partners 'Teach For All' and 'SOS Children's Villages'. Furthermore, our scholarship program 'Upstairs' supports the educational success of our employees' children.